If you go back to a post of mine ‘Hey kids Mum’s watching and her name’s Mdog’ you may now understand why Mums connect to social networking sites to keep tabs on their children. Maybe I was a bit too quick to critisise.
Survey done by NetAlert and Ninemsn
- 43% of teenage boys have downloaded files that they didn’t want their parents to know about.
- 50% of parents believe they always know what sites their children visit.
- 56% of parents thought they had enough information about on-line safety.
- More than half of parents claimed they had better Internet knowledge than their children.
- 24% of teens claim that their parents are never around when they are on-line; 6% of parents claimed they were not around when their children were online.
- The older the children, the less likely it is that their parents will join them on-line.
- 71% of parents believe their children use the Internet for research; 23% of teens say they research on-line.
- 55% of parents claimed they were checking their children’s on-line behaviour by watching them.